- 1 What is considered a classic musical?
- 2 Is musical theatre classical?
- 3 What are classical musical theatre songs?
- 4 What is traditional musical theatre?
- 5 What is the longest running Broadway musical?
- 6 What is the best musical of all time?
- 7 What are the 4 elements of musical theatre?
- 8 Which is the best example of musical theater?
- 9 What are the two types of musicals?
- 10 What are legit musical theatre songs?
- 11 What is the golden age of Broadway?
- 12 What is standard Broadway?
- 13 Why is musical theatre so popular?
- 14 What are the basic elements of musical play theatre?
- 15 What is the difference between musical play and the opera singers?
What is considered a classic musical?
The Oxford Dictionary defines ‘classical music’ as “ music written in a Western musical tradition, usually using an established form (for example a symphony). Classical music is generally considered to be serious and to have a lasting value.”
Is musical theatre classical?
New vocal students often envision musical theatre singing as one particular style, distinct from styles like classical and pop. The truth is though that musical theatre encompasses a wide variety of styles itself, some much closer to classical singing and others closer to rock (and nowadays, even rap).
What are classical musical theatre songs?
Musical Theatre for Classical Singers
- Bewitched (from PAL JOEY)
- Bill (from SHOW BOAT)
- By The Sea (from SWEENEY TODD)
- Can’t Help Lovin’ Dat Man (from SHOW BOAT)
- Children Will Listen (from INTO THE WOODS)
- Climb Ev’ry Mountain (from THE SOUND OF MUSIC)
- Come Home (from ALLEGRO)
What is traditional musical theatre?
Musical theatre is a form of theatrical performance that combines songs, spoken dialogue, acting and dance. Since the early 20th century, musical theatre stage works have generally been called, simply, musicals.
What is the longest running Broadway musical?
The Phantom of the Opera The longest-running show in Broadway history officially opened on January 26, 1988 and is still playing at the Majestic The Andrew Lloyd Webber musical won 7 1988 Tony Awards® including Best Musical.
What is the best musical of all time?
Readers’ Poll: The 10 Best Musicals of All Time
- ‘West Side Story’ The passion and rebellion of West Side Story still lingers today.
- ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’
- ‘Les Misérables’
- ‘The Rocky Horror Show’
What are the 4 elements of musical theatre?
What are the 4 elements of musical Theatre?
- catchy music in a popular style.
- solo songs, duets, choruses and ensembles.
- orchestra or band accompaniment.
- spoken dialogue.
- dance sequences, stage spectacles and magnificent costumes.
Which is the best example of musical theater?
WOS100: The top 100 Musicals of all time!
- Les Misérables. The 2014 cast of Les Miserables.
- Wicked. Savannah Stevenson (Glinda) and Willemijn Verkaik (Elphaba) in Wicked.
- The Phantom of the Opera. Phantom of the Opera.
- West Side Story. West Side Story.
- Blood Brothers.
- The Book of Mormon.
- Matilda the Musical.
- Miss Saigon.
What are the two types of musicals?
Musicals Come in All Different Types
- Book Musicals.
- Revue Musicals.
- Jukebox Musicals.
- Film Musicals.
- Concept Musicals.
- Pop/Rock Musicals.
What are legit musical theatre songs?
In the musical theatre world, the term ‘legit’ is often used to describe a genre of singing that is firmly rooted in traditional, classical voice training/pedagogy.
What is the golden age of Broadway?
The “golden age” of Broadway was no exception. The period of the 1940s and 1950s was a tumultuous period in American history: The role of women was shifting, people were becoming more open to new styles of music, dance, art, and architecture, and World War II affected virtually every aspect of American culture.
What is standard Broadway?
Many beautiful songs that are now considered classics, or are called “standards” actually come from Broadway musicals. Usually they are recorded by popular singers and become recording hits, sometimes they become themes of shows outside Broadway, and sometimes they are even adapted to T.V. and radio ads.
Why is musical theatre so popular?
As for why musicals are so popular, Friedman said, “It’s a fun entertainment,” and, “People want to be entertained.” As for the evolution of the form, where musicals came from, Friedman said, “They definitely evolved out of opera” and that musicals were “essentially opera with dialogue.”
What are the basic elements of musical play theatre?
Basic Music Elements
- Sound (overtone, timbre, pitch, amplitude, duration)
- Expression (dynamics, tempo, articulation)
What is the difference between musical play and the opera singers?
An opera is primarily sung, whereas in a musical, the songs are interspersed with passages of dialogue. In both instances, it is drama and words that drive the action. There can often be bigger dancing numbers in musicals. In opera, the singing is split between arias, recitatives and bigger chorus numbers.